Sunday, June 17, 2018

Here We Go! Days 13-14 (Transitions)

Settled into our little apartment in Reykjavik after a mostly-uneventful road trip, got rid of the rental car, and went out for a night on the town! How nice to be in a city after all of that countryside!
The next day we were blessed with nice weather and sun, so we spent most of the morning/afternoon just walking the streets.
Most memorable sight was probably Hallgrímskirkja (Lutheran Church), where I tried to poke Leifur Eiríksson in the butt, earning me disappointed looks from the locals (and my wife).

Went inside and were surprised by an impromptu organ performance! Cool pipes!
Stopped for some ice cream in the cold.
Watched the world cup in the park with the neighborhood.
This is definitely one of those cities that might just be too hip for its own good.
Wendy set up a BEER TASTING where they paired six beers with a tasting menu of food. Highlight: whiskey beer float with vanilla ice cream.
A nice last day in Iceland.
The next day was cold and rainy, and we mostly just killed time until our flight. I was randomly selected for TSA screening in Iceland, then for a super heavy-duty customs interview in DC. Sheesh, welcome back!
Luckily, friends were there to pick us up, feed us, and give us a place to stay.
My first American sunrise in about a year!


4 comments:

  1. Jon, I thought I was a good travel documenter, but I'm not even in your league! Whew, what a marvelous account of your adventures. Yes, welcome back. Come to Michigan where we subversively try to love people and the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know we haven't seen each other in 18 years, but I have so enjoyed your travel pics and stories!! Thanks for not weeding out your google + contact list hahah. Looks like you're doing great, Jon. Glad to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the journey to Iceland. Our friends' photos from their trip in the winter time looked much different. I hope to see you again soon, old friend. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete